Ministry of Education Course Title: English, Grade 12, College Preparation
Course Code: ENG4C
Grade Level: 12
Prerequisite: English, Grade 11, College Preparation
This course emphasizes the consolidation of literacy, communication, and critical and creative thinking skills necessary for success in academic and daily life. Students will analyse a variety of informational and graphic texts, as well as literary texts from various countries and cultures, and create oral, written, and media texts in a variety of forms for practical and academic purposes. An important focus will be on using language with precision and clarity and developing greater control in writing. The course is intended to prepare students for college or the workplace.
Total Time: 110 hours
Unit 1 Oral Communication
- Listening to Understand: listen in order to understand and respond appropriately in a variety of situations for a variety of purposes;
- Speaking to Communicate: use speaking skills and strategies appropriately to communicate with different audiences for a variety of purposes;
- Reflecting on Skills and Strategies: reflect on and identify their strengths as listeners and speakers, areas for improvement, and the strategies they found most helpful in oral communication situations.
Unit 2 Reading and Literature Studies
- Reading for Meaning: read and demonstrate an understanding of a variety of informational, literary, and graphic texts, using a range of strategies to construct meaning;
- Understanding Form and Style: recognize a variety of text forms, text features, and stylistic elements and demonstrate understanding of how they help communicate meaning;
- Reading With Fluency: use knowledge of words and cueing systems to read fluently;
- Reflecting on Skills and Strategies: reflect on and identify their strengths as readers, areas for improvement, and the strategies they found most helpful before, during, and after reading.
Unit 3 Writing
- Developing and Organizing Content: generate, gather, and organize ideas and information to write for an intended purpose and audience;
- Using Knowledge of Form and Style: draft and revise their writing, using a variety of informational, literary, and graphic forms and stylistic elements appropriate for the purpose and audience;
- Applying Knowledge of Conventions: use editing, proofreading, and publishing skills and strategies, and knowledge of language conventions, to correct errors, refine expression, and present their work effectively;
- Reflecting on Skills and Strategies: reflect on and identify their strengths as writers, areas for improvement, and the strategies they found most helpful at different stages in the writing process.
Unit 4 Media Studies
- Understanding Media Texts: demonstrate an understanding of a variety of media texts;
- Understanding Media Forms, Conventions, and Techniques: identify some media forms and explain how the conventions and techniques associated with them are used to create meaning;
- Creating Media Texts: create a variety of media texts for different purposes and audiences, using appropriate forms, conventions, and techniques;
- Reflecting on Skills and Strategies: reflect on and identify their strengths as media interpreters and creators, areas for improvement, and the strategies they found most helpful in understanding and creating media texts.