Ministry of Education Course Title: Principles of Mathematics, Grade 10 Academic
Course Code: MPM2D
Grade Level: 10
This course enables students to broaden their understanding of relationships and extend their problem-solving and algebraic skills through investigation, the effective use of technology, and abstract reasoning. Students will explore quadratic relations and their applications; solve and apply linear systems; verify properties of geometric figures using analytic geometry; and investigate the trigonometry of right and acute triangles. Students will reason mathematically and communicate their thinking as they solve multi-step problems. Mathematical process expectations. The mathematical processes are to be integrated into student learning in all areas of this course.
Overall Curriculum Expectation - all units are interrelated
Unit 1 Quadratic Relations
- determine the basic properties of quadratic relations;
- solve quadratic equations and interpret the solutions with respect to the corresponding relations;
- solve problems involving quadratic relations
Unit 2 Analytic Geometry
- solve problems using analytic geometry involving properties of lines and line segments;
- verify geometric properties of triangles and quadrilaterals, using analytic geometry
Unit 3 Trigonometry
- solve problems involving right triangles, using the primary trigonometric ratios and the Pythagorean theorem;
- solve problems involving acute triangles, using the sine law and the cosine law.