Ministry of Education Course Title: English, Grade 12, Workplace Preparation
Course Code: ENG4E
Grade Level: 12
Prerequisite: English, Grade 11, Workplace Preparation
This course emphasizes the consolidation of literacy, communication, and critical and creative thinking skills necessary for success in the workplace and in daily life. Students will analyse informational, graphic, and literary texts and create oral, written, and media texts in a variety of forms for workplace-related and practical purposes. An important focus will be on using language accurately and organizing ideas and information coherently. The course is intended to prepare students for the workplace and active citizenship.
Total Time: 110 hours
Unit 1 Oral Communication
- Listening to Understand: listen in order to understand and respond appropriately in a variety of situations for a variety of purposes;
- Speaking to Communicate: use speaking skills and strategies appropriately to communicate with different audiences for a variety of purposes;
- Reflecting on Skills and Strategies: reflect on and identify their strengths as listeners and speakers, areas for improvement, and the strategies they found most helpful in oral communication situations.
Unit 2 Reading and Literature Studies
- Reading for Meaning: read and demonstrate an understanding of a variety of informational, graphic, and literary texts, using a range of strategies to construct meaning;
- Understanding Form and Style: recognize a variety of text forms, text features, and stylistic elements and demonstrate understanding of how they help communicate meaning;
- Reading With Fluency: use knowledge of words and cueing systems to read fluently;
- Reflecting on Skills and Strategies: reflect on and identify their strengths as readers, areas for improvement, and the strategies they found most helpful before, during, and after reading.
Unit 3 Writing
- Developing and Organizing Content: generate, gather, and organize ideas and information to write for an intended purpose and audience;
- Using Knowledge of Form and Style: draft and revise their writing, using a variety of informational, graphic, and literary forms and stylistic elements appropriate for the purpose and audience;
- Applying Knowledge of Conventions: use editing, proofreading, and publishing skills and strategies, and knowledge of language conventions, to correct errors, refine expression, and present their work effectively;
- Reflecting on Skills and Strategies: reflect on and identify their strengths as writers, areas for improvement, and the strategies they found most helpful at different stages in the writing process.
Unit 4 Media Studies
- Understanding Media Texts: demonstrate an understanding of a variety of media texts;
- Understanding Media Forms, Conventions, and Techniques: identify some media forms and explain how the conventions and techniques associated with them are used to create meaning;
- Creating Media Texts: create a variety of media texts for different purposes and audiences, using appropriate forms, conventions, and techniques;
- Reflecting on Skills and Strategies: reflect on and identify their strengths as media interpreters and creators, areas for improvement, and the strategies they found most helpful in understanding and creating media texts.