EWC4C The Writer’s Craft
Ministry of Education Course Title: The Writer’s Craft, Grade 12, College
Course Code: EWC4C
Grade Level: 12
Prerequisite: English, Grade 11, College Preparation
This course emphasizes knowledge and skills related to the craft of writing. Students will investigate models of effective writing; use a workshop approach to write a variety of works; and make considered decisions for improving the quality of their writing. They will also complete a creative or analytical independent study project and investigate opportunities for publication and for writing careers.
Total Time: 110 hours
Unit 1 Investigating Writing
- Writing, Writers, and the Writing Life: demonstrate an understanding of writing as an art, a craft, and a career as they explore the work of a variety of Canadian and international writers.
Unit 2 Practicing Writing
- Exploring Ideas, Forms, and Styles: generate and experiment with ideas about writing content, forms, and styles;
- Drafting and Revising: organize, draft, and revise their writing, employing forms and stylistic elements appropriate for their purpose and audience;
- Editing, Proofreading, and Publishing: use editing, proofreading, and publishing skills and strategies to refine and polish their work;
- Collaborative Writing: collaborate in the writing process with peers by generating ideas, responding to peers’ work, and assessing peers’ work in a workshop setting.
Unit 3 Reflecting on Writing
- Metacognition: identify their strengths as writers and areas where they could improve, and assess the growth and development of their own writing style.